April 29, 2010

The Anniversary Post

Ok, yes, our anniversary was yesterday. But I had a long day at work and then we went out to an amazing dinner, and so I didn't get to blog. So, forgive me...While I make you look at wedding pictures! (And review a new local restaurant.)

All after the jump...

Jake and I got married well before we created our Facebook accounts, and so our photos have never been uploaded to these here interwebs. I find it so interesting that photos are available immediately now. If I go to a wedding, I can be sure I'll be able to reminisce and feel nostalgic about the day's festivities 24 hours after the fact. I remember that for my bat mitzvah, we had to wait for what seemed like ever before getting the album. We had real-life proofs, printed on actual photo paper. And a real, hard-cover book. The turnaround time for our photos was relatively quick; our photographer was fully digital, and we created an album on Shutterfly, from a CD of proofs. But we didn't have day-after photos. It's an interesting instant-gratification world we live in...But that's a topic for another post.

I'll only bore you with a few pics, the ones I really love. Groan over the adorable mushiness of a three-year-married lady, and scroll through to read my review of 8407 Kitchen Bar.

Mom and dad walk me down the aisle. We immediately start cracking up.
Jake and I boogie to Springsteen's "Rosalita."
Jake's parents dance.

My parents dance.
So picturesque, no?
So, that's it. Not too-super-mushy. There are tons more I wanted to post, but I figured I'd spare my dear readers. :)

So, I got home last night, and we immediately whisked ourselves off to the newest restaurant in Silver Spring (at least until Pacci's Pizza opens, maybe this week?), 8407 Kitchen Bar. We've been excited to go there since we first heard it was opening, but...you know, budget and all. But, we figured, what better time to splurge than on our anniversary?

We budgeted for one drink and one entree each, and I played it safe by ordering a South African Chenin Blanc. I'm going to go for a cocktail next time, for sure; I can't wait to try the Ginger Lime Martini, and The Obvious Flirt looks delish--although I have to say, I hate the name.

The first thing we ordered was the french fries. Because, honestly, if you see a menu item listed as "fried in duck fat," you have to get it. While Jake and I agreed that we would have appreciated an aioli, or some other tangy dinnping sauce, the fries themselves were pretty well perfection. They were crispy and earthy and everything french fries should be. Yum.

For our main course, Jake ordered the halibut, which was done extremely well (in the sense of "very delicious," not "spent a long time over heat"). The presentation was gorgeous, but he said the sauces didn't really add much to the taste of the dish. The fish itself was so tasty, though, I'm not really sure it mattered.

I had the duck breast which was utter perfection. Incredibly crispy skin, and deep, deep pink inside. Very tender. The breast was served over lentils, which were cooked just al dente enough. There was a real toothsomeness, which lent an interesting texture to the dish. I don't know what was in the sauce, but it was a great blend of tangy and sweet. Jake thinks that there might have been Asian five spices in the sauce.

Fully sated from dinner, we came home, downloaded The Hangover On Demand (what? It's about a guy who's getting married!) and sat down with a bottle of Prosecco and the Mystery Dessert Jake made the night before...
New York style cheesecake! With strawberries! A very successful anniversary, if I do say so myself. I can't wait to go back to 8407. The menu will change consistently with the season, and there are absolutely affordable bar options. I look forward to eating a cuban sandwich at the bar, while drinking a ginger-lime martini...Mmmm...

Oh, and no discussion of our wedding would ever possibly be complete without my favorite non-bride or -groom picture...Honestly, one of my favorite pictures that has ever been taken of anyone, any where:
Ladies and gentlemen, Joe.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is my first visit to ThirtyFlirtyFab, and I love it! What beautiful pics, Jen! I love the pic of you guys under the chupah (did I use the right word?!). Gorgeous!

-Michelle (J. :)

rjhackman said...

I agree - the pics are beautiful and I would LOVE to see more, who cares if they are mushy, sometimes mushy is good. Congrats to you 2.