May 12, 2010

I Feel Pretty...

In light of my sartorial distraction, I made a now-year's resolution. (OK, the term's not great--although it's growing on me--but you get the point!) I decided that I'm not allowed to have anything in my closet that doesn't make me feel good. If I put something on, stare at myself in the mirror, and have to ask whether or not I look good, that item shouldn't be in my closet.

That's all well and good to say, right? But on a non-profit budget, how to make it happen? As I've discovered, I have a specific aesthetic to which I gravitate, but how can I actually make it happen without blowing the bank? These were questions I thought hard about while I cleaned out my closet, and put a garbage bag-and-a-half full of clothes, shoes, and accessories in the corner of my bedroom. (Of course, the fact that I share a bedroom with Jake gave me more of a push to get rid of that garbage bag; he shouldn't have to live with my clothing cast-offs!)

And then I had the a-ha moment: why not host a clothing swap?? I've been to a couple, but never hosted one myself. It seemed like the perfect solution. I could get rid of my clothes, hopefully get some new ones for free, give a bunch of clothes to charity, and give my friends an opportunity to get rid of their own cast-offs. Plus, it would give me a chance to play hostess and practice making party food. (But that's another post.)

So, it was! I had my swap on Sunday (and invited my mom, so I could toast her on Mother's Day). I cooked, I prepped, I bought booze. I collected clothes from friends who couldn't attend, and laid them out in the living room with my clothes before my guests arrived so they could go "shopping" right away. I made a mix on my iPod. I poured myself a glass of sparkling rose, and I was ready.

Major success! They came, they "shopped," we swapped. Friends came with tote bags, garbage bags, gift bags, and rolling suitcases. They went home with earrings, pants, dresses...and one friend even left with a gorgeous area rug! And my mom took twelve or so bags home with her, to donate to The House of Ruth. And I must say...I made out like a bandit. :) I feel like my wardrobe has been rejuvenated. (And I'm continuing my streak of feeling pretty...honestly and truly pretty...for a week and a half straight.)

Of course, one of the hallmarks of a successful shopping trip (free, second-hand, or otherwise) is that you can incorporate your new finds into your existing wardrobe. Some of the outfits I've worn, and some I can't wait to wear, after the jump...

Sunday

 Mine: T-shirt & shoes. Swapped: white pants, which I was thrilled to find for summer!

Monday
 Mine: gray slacks & shoes. Swapped: three-quarter sleeved magenta sweater. Apparently, I'm really into pink right now. Who knew?

Tuesday
 Mine: olive green three-quarter sleeved shirt & jeans. Swapped: oatmeal-colored crocheted cardigan & suede heels.

Wednesday
 Mine: gray sweater & jeans. Swapped: magenta beaded cardigan & super-hot black leather boots.

And I can't wait to wear...
 Mine: floral print skirt & green-and-white wedges. Swapped: off-white, puff-sleeved, swiss-dot blouse.

Mine: black cotton tank top & black shoes with cork wedges. Swapped: pink cotton skirt.

I also got two dresses, a few more pairs of heels, three more blouses...Wow. Clothing swap, FTW. (Next up: food, drink, and music to swap by.)

No comments: