April 3, 2010

Ode to Silver Spring


Today was a fantastic day to spend outside, and I tried to take advantage of as much as I could. Since I'm loath to brave the Cherry Blossom crowd, I found some other things to do, and had a great time supporting local folks.

I know I promised a post about matzah crack, but the local fun I had today was too much not to blog about. The journey--full of hyperlinks so you can check stuff out--after the jump...
First stop: The Puppet Company at Glen Echo Park, to do some Helen Hayes judging. Then, a quick walk around the park's yurts (where I learned more about the origin of yurts than I think I'll ever need). Would have gone into the Discovery Garden, but it's $5 for non-members, and I'm not so much flush at the moment. Enjoyed the sun on the walk to the parking lot instead.

Second stop: When I got home (my friend Debbie in tow), Jake reminded us of the Big Cherry Block Party going on right across the street. He bought a kick-ass T-shirt from local designer/shirt seller Sharp Shirter, and I wanted one, too. So, downstairs we went. I couldn't eat the street food (Passover means no funnel cake), but it sure smelled good. We walked Ellsworth, took in some good local art, and completed my T-shirt buying mission. (I got this one. I bought this one a couple of weeks ago at ArtSpring, and am coveting several more.)

Third (and fourth) stop(s): Mission accomplished, we made our way down Georgia Avenue, stopping off at The Greek Place for lunch and Dale Music for sheet music.

Fifth stop: Lastly, we dipped into Velatis so I could finally try one of their super-expensive treats. I know I said I wasn't going to go there, which was why I learned to make my own caramels. But as a once-in-a-while treat Seriously Amazing. I love that you can see into the back where the magic--candy--is made. I love the display cases, which make the candies look like jewels. And I love the truffles. I bought a hazelnut truffle for myself, and a raspberry one for Jake. And damn if they weren't worth $3 each! The shop will stay a once-in-a-while treat, but it's well worth it, I think.

Tonight: I'm back home for right now (duh), but later this evening, we're going to be trying out Jackie's Sidebar. It just opened on Friday, and I'm really excited to head down there. I'll never argue with a new bar in the neighborhood, especially one right next door to one of my favorite restaurants.

Here's where I wax poetic about Silver Spring: I love my neighborhood. I really do. Especially during the warmer months, there is so much to see and do, so much diversity, that it feels less like a suburb than an urban center. At the same time, there is very much a small-town feel. The block parties lend a spirit of community to the area; it was great to see smiling families downtown, sharing in enjoying local performers, food, and artists. This happens quite frequently, with our block parties, as well as the weekly Farmer's Market, in addition to the craft shows, flea markets, and what-have-you that set up on Ellsworth. Food is very important to Jake and I, and we feel incredibly satisfied in our little area. We can step outside of our apartment, and within less than a half-mile, enjoy Tex-Mex, Cuban, American, Ethiopian, Chinese, Thai, Vietnamese, Japanese, Italian, Greek...And that's not even including the chain restaurants. Add to that our two movie venues (indie and mainstream), lots of bars (with more being added all the time), performance venues (soon adding The Fillmore, which may open as soon as next Fall), and so much more...This really is a fantastic place to be.

OK, Chamber of Commerce...You can send me my check any time now... :)

No comments: