April 18, 2010

Scenes from the Fenton Street Market

The Fenton Street Market re-opened this weekend, and I was thrilled to go and do some indie-shopping. After a successful trial run last spring/summer, the Market will be open every Saturday from 9am-3pm, until October 31.

Right now, there's a roster of 60 or so vendors, who will be at the Market on a rotating schedule, so you can never be quite sure what kind of awesomeness you'll be walking amongst. (I just found out that after a morning at the Farmer's Market, partaking in an amazing breakfast of Caramel-Pear Danish from Praline Bakery--I love talking to the French baker who's selling their wares, and their macarons are also fantastic--I missed out on fresh donuts from Migue's Magnificent Mini Donuts...maybe next time.)

So, what might be in store for you if you drop by the Market--which is conveniently located in a vacant parking lot on Fenton Avenue & Silver Spring Street? Well, like me, you could...

Buy a beautiful bracelet made of natural materials (these are freshwater pearl and ORANGE PEEL--I got one in yellow) from calamarie.

Kinda-sorta wish you had a kid so you could buy one of these cool handmade wooden toys from Unexpected Surprises.

Wander around and marvel at all of the booths, both the ones manned by the artists who created those wares, and the ones who just looked like they cleaned out their grandmother's (or their own) attics. Finally buy a miniature bust of Michelangelo's David for $3, and...

Two formerly free-with-purchase recipe books from Julia Child's TV show The French Chef!

I also watched screenprinting workshops, listened to a folk band, saw toy trains move slowly around their track, and drooled over jewelry from Little Blue Studio, among other vendors. I'll definitely be back; if not next weekend, then absolutely sometime soon.

6 comments:

little blue studio said...

Thank you very much for the compliment! The Fenton Street market was lovely and I look forward to coming back...hope to see you there.
Best wishes,
Maria Louise High
little blue studio

Unknown said...

Hey, you're welcome, Maria! I didn't have enough cash in my wallet this weekend, but I'm looking forward to seeing your booth again. I especially liked the necklaces with ribbon, chain, and flowers, although I'm also partial to a good headband that looks like a fascinator. :)

Anonymous said...

Well, well, well...I do hope you enjoy the Julia Child books and make something yummy from them! Thanks for stopping by my booth and I hope to see you again. I've got lots of fun treasures!
Best, Sue Williams
Big Moon Little Stars

Unknown said...

Come back next weekend too! We'll be there and would love to meet you. Hopefully it won't be raining.

Unknown said...

Bette's,

I just visited your site (http://bettesbags.com/ for those interested), and your bags are SUPER cute! I look forward to seeing you next weekend.

Unknown said...

Sue,

The Julia Child books are fantastic! I love that they're recipes from the TV show--I can practically hear her voice when looking at the books. I'm looking forward to coming to your booth again; I'm still thinking about your glassware, teacups, and some of the vintage jewelry.