May 14, 2010

Food to Swap By

ThirtyFlirtyFab brings you...The much-anticipated...Recipes from last weekend's clothing swap! The party was a success for many reasons, but if I do say so myself (which I do...) I really outdid myself with the food.

Like I've said before, Jake is really the cook in the family. I can put together a mean salad, but I've been stretching myself recently with the cooking thing. The goal is to cook dinner about once a week--something that doesn't happen as often as it should during busy-at-work times like I've had recently. I do enjoy cooking--and I really enjoy eating--but I get nervous sometimes when it comes to making a meal. Something about putting ingredients together makes me squeamish sometimes...I'm not sure what.

Anyway, when I decided to have this party, I thought I'd go beyond making a cheese plate and actually attempt a full-table buffet with substantial party food. I wanted to make some things I was comfortable, and some new items. So, out came my recipe binder, and Cook's Illustrated's The Best Make-Ahead Recipe book. The party took place during cocktail hour, so I made strategic choices in food and drink. I was excited about how good everything tasted, and I'm definitely adding a couple of items to my repertoire!

Recipes after the jump...


Curry-Cilantro Dip and Sun-Dried Tomato & Basil Dip
The dip recipes come from The Best Make-Ahead Recipe. The folks at Cook's Illustrated have a one-size-fits-all creamy dip base recipe, to which you can add any flavorins you like. I chose these two, and they went over big-time.
Creamy Dip Base
Mix 3/4 cup mayonnaise, 3/4 cup sour cream, and 1 tablespoon lemon juice together, then stir in a flavor add-in (the book has directions for a Blue Cheese-Scallion Dip, Sun-Dried Tomato & Basil Dip, Jalapeno-Lime Dip, Tapenade Dip, and Curry-Cilantro Dip), and season with salt and pepper to taste. Allow the dip to sit for at least 15 minutes for the flavors to meld. The dip will keep, covered, and refrigerated, for up to 2 days. Be sure to re-season the dip with salt, pepper, and additional lemon juice to taste before serving.
Sun-Dried Tomato & Basil Dip
Add 1/4 cup finely chopped sun-dried tomatoes (I added slightly more, plus a couple of drops of the oil in the jar) and 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil leaves.
Curry-Cilantro Dip
Add 1 minced shallot, 2 teaspoons curry powder, and 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro leaves. (I got mine from the Silver Spring Farmer's Market on Saturday. A lucky find!)
I served the dips with pita chips--Jake cut a few rounds of whole-wheat pita into wedges and baked them briefly until they were crunchy, so they'd hold the dip more solidly.

Peanut Butter Fudge
 No party spread would be complete without something sweet. And so, I bring you...Alton Brown's Microwave Peanut Butter Fudge!
Ingredients
1 cup butter, plus more for greasing the pan (I used Pam, and it worked out just fine)
1 cup peanut butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 lb. powdered sugar (1 box)
Directions
Microwave butter and peanut butter for 2 minutes. Stir, and microwave on high for 2 more minutes. Add vanilla and powdered sugar to mixture, and stir to combine with a wooden spoon. (I add the powdered sugar in four installments, to make it easier to stir.) Pour into buttered 8x8 pan lined with wax or parchment paper. Place a second piece of wax or parchment paper on surface of the fudges and refrigerate until cool. Cut into 1-inch pieces and store in an airtight container for up to a week.
Yes, it will feel like cheating because it's so easy. But it's good fudge that just happens to be easy!

My Special Drink I Made Up*
I created this one night when Jake and I were having a night in. It's still being perfected in pitcher-form--which I wasn't measuring at all, making it way too strong for some of my guests. This recipe is for one serving.
Semi-Girly but Mostly Spohisticated Drink*
Pour grapefruit juice into ice cube mold and put in freezer until...frozen.
Put 3 ice cubes in a rocks glass
Pour 1.5 ounces of vodka over the ice cubes
Add 2 ounces of ginger beer
(Optional: add a sprig or two of fresh thyme)
Stir
Drink
Delish!

Roasted Artichoke Dip
OK, I know I said I'd give you the recipes I used...But I have to keep some things up my sleeve! This dip went fast; it was delicious. I served it with some beer bread Jake had made that day, cut into 2-inch cubes. Yum. It's absolutely going into my regular rotation.

I also served Barefoot Sparkling Rose, as well as Coke and Caffeine-Free Diet Coke (spiked with a little Malibu Rim for mom on her special day). My friend Jennie brought some cheese and crackers, and mom brought her famous Hello Dollies.

*I'd love to come up with a name for this drink. A special prize (to be decided on later) to the reader who suggests the best name! Leave your suggestions in the comments.

No comments: