May 23, 2010

This Weekend's Fresh Buys


I had an extremely successful day at the Fenton Street Market yesterday, starting with...a Scavenger Hunt win! Every week, the Market's Powers That Be hide a few items in various booths, and if you find one, you get to keep it. I, having never won anything since the Precious Moments figurine at my grandmother's Bingo game when I was seven (picture this for a second: a room full of seventy-year-old Jews vying over a Precious Moments figurine), usually don't even look for the scavenger hunt items.

But! Yesterday, my friend Debbie dragged me into a yarn booth. I have nothing against yarn, I just find knitting to be too math-centric and repetitive. So, while Debbie talked to the woman behind the spinning wheel--which was, admittedly, extremely cool--I zoned out looking at the pretty colors of yarn on the table. My eyes scanned up and down the rows of skeins, until I saw it...

The jar of Lana Bella Simpler Summer Days Tea! I was so excited!

(More excitement after the jump...I'm pretty enthused about the great stuff I got yesterday.)
We went over to the Lana Bella booth and schmoozed for a minute, got our picture taken (look out for Debbie and I on the Fenton Street Market's blog this week), and then set to ten minutes or so of smelling all of the Lana Bella soaps.

I love getting things for free, but seriously, if I win something from your booth, I'm going to buy something and kick you a couple of bucks. I walked away with a bar of delicious-smelling (and, I can vouch after a shower, great-feeling) Vanilla-Lavender Soap. I'm more than confident with my decision, but there are, like, ten more soaps I'm dying to bring home next time--specifically, the Ginger Fish and Tomato Leaf, among them. Jenni, the soap-maker, was also very cool.

We wandered next "door" to the Yummy and Company booth next. I've been reading this blog since first seeing the jewelry at the inaugural Fenton Street Market last year, and I was so excited to be able to talk to the artist and buy something! I got a fantastic clay cocktail ring. I love it because it's so tongue-in-cheek. It would be incredibly gaudy if it were an actual gemstone, but this was just perfect. (My picture's not great, but it looks like a turquoise version of this ring. Awesome.) I'm going to keep an eye on her etsy shop, too, but it's always great to buy straight from the source. :)

Went over to Big Moon Little Stars's booth next, since I can't keep myself away! I talked with Sue for a while, and then bought a couple of juice glasses. I'd post pictures, but the illustration on the glasses is a little...cheeky. (Tee-hee!) Big Moon Little Stars doesn't have a website, but Sue is planning to list some awesome items on her ebay page.

On the way back to the apartment, we stopped off at the Silver Spring Farmer's Market. It smelled so strongly of strawberries on my way past earlier, I couldn't not go. We wound up buying strawberries and lettuce from Spiral Path Farm and Allegheny Chevre from Firefly Farms, and tossed up a salad when we got home, adding almonds and a vinaigrette lovingly made by Jake. We also had a loaf of sourdough from Atwater's Bakery.

And to drink with lunch while we watched our marathon of Muppet movies?
 Lana Bella iced tea! Yum.

1 comment:

Yummy & Company said...

Thanks for the shout out! It was great meeting you on Saturday! :o)