February 15, 2010

Happy Valentine's Food!







Dinner last night was fantastic! Jake and I decided the best thing to do would be to make dinner together; he took the main course, and I did dessert.



The kitchen was mine first (ha, ha!) as I prepped the little cakes we would have for dessert.

After the cakes were in the oven, Jake took over. He made lamb with blue cheese & spinach risotto (risotto recipe from Cucina Rustica). So fantastic! We drank Penn Oaks Cabernet with dinner, and it went perfectly. I found this bottle at the tasting at Fenwick Beer & Wine on Saturday, and it's bottled right here in Silver Spring! Who knew?

We chilled out for a little while, and then I made the rum whipped cream to go with the chocolate-sour cherry cakes I made (recipe from this month's "Everyday Food"). They were so rich, and also went well with the wine. What a great way to cap off Valentine's Day!

Next steps after my new baking experience:
  1. Bake more...
  2. Look up Penn Oaks Winery and see if we can arrange a tour/tasting.
  3. Experiment with more liquors/liqueurs in whipped cream. I'm excited about the opportunities for Kahlua or Cointreau in whipped cream, instead of rum.

No comments: