July 27, 2010

Long Weekend...

Photo courtesy washingtonpost.com reader TiffanyWcool.
Due to the storm that hit the area on Sunday, I'm on day five of an unforeseen long weekend. (Hooray!?) I did leave for work at my regular time yesterday, and got a call from my boss at 7:30am that went something like this...
BOSS: Hey, are you coming to work today?
ME: Yeah, I'm on the bus now. I'll be there in ten minutes. Why?
BOSS: Well, we don't have power, and we're trying to figure out what we should do. So, um, I'll buy you some coffee at [local cafe].
ME: Sounds good.
(They both hang up their phones. Curtain.)
Why, yes, I do occasionally write plays for a living. Was that evident by my spectacular pacing, and command of dialogue? :)

Of course, what should have been a quick cup of coffee on the company dime turned into a long cup of coffee on the company dime, followed by hanging around outside of the theatre letting parents and students know that we couldn't get into the building either (and, no, ma'am, I'm sorry, if we don't have power, it means we can't call or email our patrons), and then going to Starbucks--on the company dime--with some of my coworkers until finally realizing the power wasn't going to be restored any time soon and calling it quits for the day. My boss (a really good guy) drove me home.

I got to hang out with Jake, which was awesome, and also take a good, long nap. Also awesome.

This morning, I woke up at my summer-usual 5:00am, took a shower, got dressed, and hunkered down until I could figure out whether or not I had to go to work. (Jake and I tried to watch the season finale of You're Cut Off--which, by the way, is amazing--but VH1 cut out 20 minutes in, so that didn't happen.) I did not have to go to work. But we were all "on call" until 11:30, when we would figure out if we could open for afternoon classes.

Nope, still no power.

So, five-day weekend, it is! So far, I've used this time to practice my ukulele (I can successfully play 6-8 chords now!), ice my sprained ankle (sports injury, don'tcha know?), and do a mini-tour of Silver Spring with Jake, Hollie, and Adri. I love impromptu middle-of-weekday hanging out! We had lunch at Thai Derm (insane weekday lunch deals), browsed our local Thai Market (we get some good ingredients from here, but also love to look at things like dried squid balls), and stocked up our fridge with a trip to Fenwick Beer & Wine.

I'll wake up at the same time tomorrow, and bide my time again until I hear whether or not we have power at the theatre, and whether or not I have to go to work. Whee!

No comments: