August 2, 2010

With Kindness

Today was a very full day, for reasons I'd rather not get ingot in a public forum. But something really nice happened--like, jaw-droppingly nice--and I just have to share. :)

I was picking up a prescription from CVS, and the girl behind the counter complimented my hair color. I just redid it on Friday--red fades so darned quickly--and it does look pretty good, if I do say so myself. So, I told her, "It's L'oreal 6R."

"Really?" she asked. (As though she couldn't believe she could have this color for $8.00.)

"Sure. I can get you a box if you want." It was, like, two aisles over.

"Really?" she asked again. I nodded and she thought for a moment. "You're not from DC, are you?"

"Well, I lived in DC for twelve years or so, but I live in Silver Spring now."

"Oh, ok." She started counting out pills, and I ran over to the hair color aisle and pulled a box for her. You know, just so she could see what it looked like. We talked more about hair for a little bit (she wasn't sure red would look good on her; I gave her my mantra that hair is the one thing you can change, and if you don't like it, dye it some other color) while she typed my info into the computer, and then she handed me the prescription. I asked if I could pay with my FSA card, and she said...

"You know, you were so nice, I took off the co-pay for you."

I think I must have just silently blinked a few times, and then I remembered her scanning a CVS gift card. I think I thought she was just scanning one of the behind-the-counter CVS scan cards. But, no, she COVERED MY CO-PAY. I told her that was incredibly sweet, and she said, "You were nice to me. No one is ever nice to us. Like, one percent of people, but they're not as nice as you. So, thank you."

I thanked her very much and left the store. And then I called my mom, one of the two people (along with my dad) who taught me to always be nice to strangers. It really pays sometimes.

No comments: