June 15, 2010

Yar.

Yeah, I'm a little obsessed with Peter Pan.
I previously posted about how even though I work in the theatre industry, my job can be just like every other job. For example: I work in a cube, have to deal with office politics, and agonize over whether to eat California Tortilla or deli for lunch (accessorized, of course, with the obligatory Diet Coke.) There will, inevitably, be more posts in a similar vein.

However. Here are a couple of reasons my job is not like everyone else's. One: I get to play. Two: I get to play while dressed as a pirate and doing a crappy (but effective!) accent.

Reason the first:
A few weeks ago, the wife of one of Jake's colleagues contacted me to ask if I'd be interested in leading an improv class at her temple's retreat. It should have some connection with the weekend's theme (awareness of the environment, particularly ethical eating), be somehow related to Judaism, and include about 60 students and parents, from four years old to grownup-aged.

No sweat, right?

It's tough to write a lesson plan that includes so many people, at so many ages. But somehow, we did it! Armed with my colleague Jackie, as well as a bag of musical instruments and dance scarves (and my loyal assistant Jake), we trekked deep into suburban Baltimore to lead this class. Honestly, we had no idea what we were walking into. Were they going to be into the activities? Were they expecting to watch while the kids did improv activities with us? Would everyone be able to understand and participate? How big was the space going to be?

It was awesome. The group had a really good time (I think!) and so did we. I was out of breath and sweating by the end. I love interacting with people, and when I get to work with small children, teenagers, and adults, and include them in activities that bring them together and give everyone a good time, that just makes my day. (Gross, huh?) I would gladly do it again, especially now that I actually know what I'm doing. Ha!

Reason the second:
This summer, we're doing all pirate plays at work, both in our professional family theatre, and in the summer camp I manage. What better way to kick off a pirate summer than with a pirate treasure hunt? Which, of course, entailed decking the lobby and classrooms out like pirate locales (The Jolly Roger Inn, the Shiver Me Timbers, Long John's Lagoon), and all of us dressed up like pirates. My colleagues organized the whole thing; I just showed up as the Bonny Captain Jenn to lead tour groups through the "treasure hunt."

What a great time! Again, we were all exhausted and sweaty by the end of the afternoon, but it was well worth it. We (groups of 4-25 students and parents, each led by a staffer) left on a tour every ten minutes for three hours. We defeated the Kraken (by throwing pennies into our "scholarship fountain), learned how to sword fight, solved puzzles, and ultimately "found" the treasure.

My accent was halfway between Irish and Caribbean, and I was wearing my belly dance scarf and a tri-corner hat. At work. What more could a girl ask for?

No comments: